Friday, August 1, 2008

A Night of Firsts

Delta Flight 4397 leaving Atlanta at 9:25 pm on 31 July. I arrived at the airport super early because there were no traffic delays in Atlanta, was the only passenger on my shuttle from long term parking, was the first person in line to check my baggage, and got through airport security in under 5 minutes. Wow! A series of firsts for me. When I checked my bag, the skycap informed me that the flight was delay to 11:00 pm, when I arrived at the gate (which had been changed), the flight was delayed until 11:36 pm. After I had dinner ($17 worth of a sandwich), I settled in to wait for two hours. I opened the laptop and connected to the Internet via my AT&T laptop connect card (I refused to pay $10 for 24 hours of Internet service). Before I could pull up the Delta website so that I could receive updates on the flight status, I received an e-mail from Delta confirming my flight delay. I opened the Delta website, typed in my flight number, click go, and received a glaring red message screaming CANCELED.

Although a tad perturbed that there was no announcement at the gate to this effect, I immediately packed away my laptop and grabbed my phone. I called Joanna (whose wedding was the purpose of my trip) and had her look up the Delta Skymiles phone number (I learned this on Morning Express with Robin Meade some weeks ago – it’s quicker than waiting in line – people were in line for hours). Bob informed me that Delta had graciously already booked me on a 6:15 flight the following evening. Since Joanna and Clint’s wedding rehearsal is scheduled at 4:00 pm tomorrow (yes, I’m writing this in the airport), I informed Bob that this was unacceptable and requested to be put on a different airline. He informed me that he could not do that since Delta had availability. Having taken persuasion and numerous other communication classes, I responded that Delta actually did not have availability given that I had to be in Hot Springs, AR at 4:00 pm tomorrow. He asked if he should transfer me to someone else who might be able to help me. I, of course, said YES!

It was then I met Debbie from Tampa. I informed Debbie of the situation (okay, I actually told her that the wedding was tomorrow at 4:00 pm as I figured this would make the situation appear much more dire). Appalled at being the person responsible for the lack of an officiant (how odd, Spellcheck doesn’t know this word) at a wedding an running the ceremony for 400 guests (Joanna, I know the chapel only holds 160, but I thought a larger number might produce better results). Debbie, with whom I am now in love, said, “I can book you on an 8:30 am flight.” Wow! Debbie has got to be the best Delta employee ever – she deserves an award! Although this is not the first time I have been stranded at an airport, this is the first time that I have received such service.

Currently, it’s almost midnight, and I’m sitting in Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. I’m spending the night here because the hotels are so expensive in this area, plus, I need to be back here at 6:30 am. By the time I got to a hotel, I would only have about four hours to sleep before I had to be back here again. So my final first, I’m spending the night in the airport. My concerns right now: where is the bag I checked, and what am I supposed to do in the morning.

By the way, I may scream if I have to listen to the instructions for traveling with an infant over the loudspeaker again.

No comments: