Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Fragility of Life

A number of recent events have reminded me of the fragility of life and how important it is to maximize the few years we have.  It strikes me that so much of what monopolizes our daily lives is incredibly insignificant in light of the tragedies that surround us.  Further, I am reminded of just how much I take for granted on a daily basis.

The University of Georgia and the Athens community endured quite a shock last weekend at the deaths of three members of the community - allegedly at the hands of a well-respected member of our academic community.  While this serves as a reminder that anyone can take life from us, it also highlighted the sense of insecurity that exists within the world.  As I looked out my office window this week, I witnessed the campus police (armed with AR-15s) patrolling the campus to protect everyone.  I ought not have to live in a society that needs this type of protection.  Life is something to be cherished; it shouldn't need this type of protection.

I found out this morning that a fellow former camp counselor was apparently murdered by her husband this week.  While the events of last weekend are saddening, they didn't touch me like Micah's death did.  Someone who I knew, whose family I know, who I spent summers with for a few years, who was an incredible person is gone.  We don't know why.  All that's left to do is grieve and question.  I shouldn't have to experience this.  Acts such as these shouldn't happen to people I know; they value life.  Micah's family and friends shouldn't have to go through this.  No one should.  Why can't everyone share the same value for life?

A few moments ago, I heard an accident at the intersection next to my home.  I looked out the window to see a SUV laying on it's side in the middle of the intersection.  While I don't believe anyone was seriously injured, it's clear that we can't control what happens to us.  Accidents happen.  Death happens.  Life is fragile, which means that we are fragile.  I am fragile, yet I don't want to accept it.

My final thought - LIVE LIFE!  It's all we can do.

No comments: