Friday, July 10, 2009

The Perils of Moving

In preparation for my move in two weeks, I am currently in the process of packing up my house; shutting off utilities; turning on utilities; and planning the move itself.  It has been four years since my last move, and I seem to have forgotten the number of "bugs" that joyously appear throughout the process.  This truly has been a learning process.  Thus, I thought I would share some of the lessons learned from this process:

1. Planning ahead isn't always wise.  I contacted my phone company about six weeks prior to my move to discuss the termination date of my current phone and to turn on the new phone.  Last week, I was forced to contact them again to get them to turn my home service back on after they shut it off too early.  I also went ahead and filled out my change of address form through the USPS (specifying the date of my move).  My mail service ceased last week, which again prompted a phone call to have my mail service restored.  I've received mail the past two days, but I'm not sure what happened to about four days worth of mail.

2.  Moving = Discounts.  Completing my change of address from on USPS's website prompted the delivery of a number of coupons and discounts for a variety of moving services as well as for major stores (i.e., Lowe's, Best Buy, etc.).

3.  Don't trust shipping dates.  I ordered some furniture online (it was on sale and I got free shipping).  I based the delivery location on the estimated shipping date - furniture arriving before the move shipped to Athens and furniture arriving after the move shipped to Seneca.  It turns out that these dates were grossly overestimated.  The furniture that was not supposed to arrive in Seneca until August 6 is already present.  The wonderful shipping company - CEVA - agreed to hold it until I arrive in Seneca.  What a great company!

4.  Things NEVER happen on time.  Although I begin my move two weeks from today, I still do not have a contract or a host of other items associated with my new job.  This is a bit stressful as I am moving to start a job that I technically still do not have.  While everyone (literally) that I'm communicating with at Clemson keeps telling me not to worry.  Apparently this is indicative of their process.

No comments: