Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Annoyed!

I cannot recall a time when I have been more annoyed than I have the past few days.  It seems that every time I get past one annoyance another is on the horizon.  Further, the annoyance seem to be coming from all facets of life at the moment.  In an attempt to relieve some of the annoyances plaguing my life at the moment, I have decided to compile a list of annoyances.

#1 - Bad Writing
I have recently finished grading my students' first papers, and I found the complete lack of writing skills incredibly annoying.  My job is to evaluate students' abilities to synthesize communication concepts, NOT to search endlessly for those concepts in poorly written papers.  I am puzzled by the inability to form a coherent sentence.

#2 - Withdrawal Deadlines
I have never had a semester as plagued by e-mails from students considering whether or not to withdraw from class.  This required an incredible amount of energy that I could have devoted to other work.  I long for the day when students are able to look at their grades and determine whether or not they should withdraw.

#3 - Incompetent Companies
I recently ordered supplies for an non-profit organization of which I am a member.  I placed the order two weeks in advance of when I needed the supplies.  Having never received the promised tracking number for my order, I contacted the company to discover that my order was on back order from a company that had failed to even fill the order.  Due to the inability of these companies to perform at adequate standards, I am now rushed to complete my work on time.  Thankfully, I called today to straighten out the mess!

#4 - Cheap Appliances
As I am going to be house-sitting for some friends over the next few days, I decided to prepare a few meals that I could simply microwave.  However, given the cheap appliance included in most rentals these days, every time that I cook something my oven smokes, and I enjoy a smoke-filled home.

Here's to hoping the annoyance ends!

No comments: