Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spring is here...

Although the arrival of spring comes regularly, the actual arrival (i.e., weather, plants, etc.) of spring does not always coincide with the calendar.  However, I was pleasantly surprised on my walk this morning to see flocks of geese headed inland.  Although a bit chilly this morning, I slowed my walk once I heard the honks of the geese and began searching the skies hoping to catch a glimpse of their beautiful formations.  Maybe it's just the farm kid in me, but this always seems to signal the arrival of spring.

To add to the springtime atmosphere, yesterday was the warm and windy.  For the first time this year, I was able to turn off the heat and open the windows.  Spring air flowing through the house always seems to invigorate me.  Today seems to be shaping up in quite the same manner.  While quite chilly this morning, the temperature is supposed to reach close to 70 degrees today.  Cool mornings and warm afternoons typify spring for me.

The final indicator of spring for me is the reawakening of plants, trees, and shrubs from their winter sleep.  Although I dread the rapid approach of pollen season, the thin coat of pollen on my car yesterday provided cheer that spring is here.  As I looked at the bare planters by the front door and on the back patio, I began to think about what I needed to get my own little world green again.  I'm ready to start spending time out on the patio.

Yeah for spring!

No comments: